A Game of Two Halves.

Oct 30 2013 Published by under Reds

Sunday proved to be another tough test for CPR Reds as they faced the high flying Mr.Dennehey’s FC at Randalls Island. For once the Reds had their wish granted and were playing on field 74, instead of the great expanse that is field 75. There were a few notable absences but the Reds were able to field a strong team, welcoming back keeper Shane after his loan came to an end with the Whites.

The Reds began the First half brightly, with Hendo and Omar continuously keeping the Dennehey’s back line busy. Several good chances came their way, and free-kicks and corners began to tally up. Fullback Iano and Blake made several attacking runs and Iano tried his luck from outside the box after elegantly cutting inside his opposing fullback, only to fire harmlessly wide. There was a sense that the Reds may continue their familiar play of dominating games without converting their chances.

Midway through the first half the Reds finally made the breakthrough. Declan picked up possession in front of his back four and advanced up the field before slotting a perfect through ball into the path of Omar. Omar skinned his defender and moved the ball onto his right foot before dispatching a scorching strike into the bottom corner. The Denneheys keeper could do nothing but watch it fly into the net; the Reds had the lead they deserved.

The Reds continued to have the better of the first half with Alberto and Salt keeping things under check at the back. Denneheys rarely ventured into the Reds half and their frustration showed and their right back (clearly suffering from small man syndrome) engaged in the typical angry footballer argy-bargy with Phil. Phil, incidentally the nicest bloke on the planet, may have antagonized the angry small dude a little, but nothing came of the commotion.

The Reds went in at half time 1-0 up and by far the better team, and even after the notion “you’re always in game at 1-0” the Reds simply didn’t appear in the second half. A few changes were made but the Reds couldn’t regain their rhythm or purpose in the second half and the game appeared to go a little flat. Denneheys began to put on some pressure and from a short corner they delivered a ball into the Reds box. What followed was the epitome of Sunday football as the cross that was sent in looped over the Reds keeper and inside the far post. The game was now tied due to a sliced cross that dropped in the top corner that the player, given a 100 chances to replicate probably couldn’t.

The Reds couldn’t find anything that resembled a comeback, and moments later another ball into the Reds area caused problems, with a Denneheys attacker finding a yard to head home from close range. Denneheys now lead 2-1, and were having a better half than the Reds.

The Reds finally began to rally, but it proved too little too late and chances in the last 5 couldn’t salvage a point. A game of two halves as the Reds couldn’t match their 1st half performance in the 2nd, ultimately costing them the game. A huge 3 points is needed on Sunday Vs Dynamo.

Man of the Match : Alberto. Another solid display at the back.

Mare of the match: Blake’s 3rd Degree knee burn, along with Jack’s broken ankle.


Comments are off for this post